Thursday, January 5, 2012

War Angel: part forty-five


Wilma entered the landing bay, a strange balloon floating behind her. She had used a number of ropes and tied them together to form a makeshift netting, allowing her to gather a number of crates into a “pile” and bring them to the shuttle in one trip. As she approached the shuttle’s storage area, she noticed that Gina was ahead of her, tying down and securing barrels that Wilma guessed had to be water. Seeing Wilma, Gina gave a thumbs up.

“Looks like we’ve got our first full load, Doctor,” Gina said into her comm.

“Go ahead and make a run back to the Angel,” Wilma replied. “I need to hit their medical facilities. I should have that done by the time you get back and still have time to grab more food.”

Gina nodded. “Sounds good. There’s more water, too.”

“I’ll let F.A. know if I see her,” Wilma said. “Shooting aliens is probably thirsty work.”



Sarah tore the panel away from the wall, flinging it down to the ground angrily. Her right hand darted through the wires and metal inside and found the biogel pack. She took a deep breath and then disconnected it from the War Angel’s electrical systems and gently pulled it out to examine it. It was coal black, limp and dead in her hand.

“Unfuckingbelievable,” she muttered under her breath.

“I’m sorry,” the voice echoed down the corridor.

Her head snapped around. She hadn’t heard Jack’s footsteps approaching and it took her off guard. The biogel pack slipped in her hand, but she caught it before it completely came out and hit the ground.

“I’m sorry,” he repeated.

Sarah sat the biogel pack down in her toolkit and then stood and straightened herself. “Don’t you dare,” she said.

He tilted his head sideways. “What?”

She ran her fingers through her hair. “Don’t you dare apologize to me.”

“What? Why not? I know I fucked things up. I overloaded the shielding system. I screamed at you on the bridge.” He bowed his head, contrition flowing from within. “I got you hurt.” His eyes rose to meet hers. “And for all of that, I am very, very sorry.”

Her hand whipped across his face, and the sound of the slap echoed down the corridor. “I told you not to apologize to me, and I damned well meant it.” Jack’s hand caressed his aching cheek, his face a mask of confusion. “You dumbass. You’re the fucking captain now, and the captain does not apologize.” He started to interrupt, but she cut him off. “We’re at war, Jack. Every minute of our lives could be our last. That means every decision you make is one between life and death. If it damages the ship but we live, then you’ve done the job. If your gunner freezes in a firefight and you need to scream at her to get her head out of her ass or we’re all going to die-“ she paused- “then you’d better scream at her or we’re all going to die.” Sarah knelt down and pulled a new biogel pack out, then stood again. “So don’t apologize to me. Or to anyone else. Do your job.”

“It wasn’t a job I wanted,” he said quietly.

She slid the biogel pack into the wall and hooked it into the ship’s systems. “Well, it’s the one you gave yourself. And honestly? No one else here is right for the job, so you’re stuck with it… and we’re stuck with you. So just do the damned job,” she said, walking over to the discarded panel and returning it to its proper place.

Jack stood and watched her for a moment, silent and mulling over what she had said. Innumerable thoughts crashed through his mind, but ultimately he realized that any disagreement was wrong-headed. She was right.

She was horribly, terribly, right.

Finally, he brushed off his uniform and turned on his heel. “I’ll be on starboard south, checking out cannon three. Get this done and join me there. I don’t want another fight without full weapons.”

“Aye, aye, Captain,” she said, and then moved on to the next panel.

No comments:

Post a Comment